This is my second Weekender bag which was promised for my mom's birthday this year. She picked out the Amy Butler fabric during my trip home last Christmas. At first, I thought I was going to sew it like my first bag which has the pattern only on the pockets. But, after some discussion with my trusty assistant, we thought it would look better if the pattern covered the bag.Here's the other side of the bag:
The problem was I never tried to match a pattern up like this before and I didn't know if I'd have enough fabric. I think I had about 1.5 yards, I'd recommend 2 or more yards next time. After a few cuts, I realized that I might need more fabric and went online searching, but I couldn't find it anymore. My trusty assistant came to the rescue again and suggested that I make templates for all my cut outs before moving on. This was to make sure I was matching the pattern up and to see if I had enough to work with. I was supposed to leave the boarders around the template... :)
My mom requested a zipper pocket for her bag. I followed this tutorial from craftster. I had enough scraps of fabric to add a boarder on the pockets.

This bag is awesome! My bag has been holding my yarn stash in it.
2 comments:
Wow! It's beautiful. So neat and professional looking.
FANTASTIC
Post a Comment