
Everytime I buy a new pair of jeans I have to hem them because I am a shorty. A few of my friends want to know how I do it, so here it is. It's not pretty, but it gets the job done without having to pay someone else to do it for me.
1. I try on the jeans and cuff them to the length that I would like it to hit the ground. You should put on the shoes you'll be wearing with it the most when doing this step.

2. Cut an inch bellow the cuff line.

I usually just eyeball it from the crease that it makes after I unroll it. I told you it wasn't pretty.
:)

3. I then use the zig-zag setting all along the bottom edge of the cut. This is so it doesn't unravel the next time you wash it.

see... All around.

4. Turning the jeans inside out, I eyeball it again and fold it about an inch. I then sew around 2 times. Once to hold in the top part of the fold and another at the lower edge so it stays flat. I've tried it before with just one line, but it doesn't lay flat. I guess you could just iron it, but ugh... that means lugging out the iron and who wants to do that?
I don't usually use jean tread for my hems, but for this tutorial I did. Normally, I just use thread that will blend in with the color of the jeans.
2 comments:
hmmmm ... i have some corduroys... needs a hacking at...
shimbi
Maybe I can do this too!
Post a Comment